Effective Date (Last Updated): October 13, 2020
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. It includes information such as your name, address, financial information, as well as your opinions and preferences.
Information we collect
We may collect, use, store and transfer different types of personal information about you. Information we may collect about you includes:
- Information to identify you, such as your first and last name;
- Your contact information, such as your telephone number, email address and physical address;
- Profile information, which includes your feedback, submissions and survey responses from when you email, submit any online forms, or call us and provide us with this information;
- Your communication preferences; and
- Information such as your property value, existing mortgage, loan requested value, and other information which is associated with your application.
- Details of your visits to our Site, including, websites you came from, websites you leave to, location data and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Site (such as which pages you view, when you view them and what you click on).
- Information about your computer or device you use to access the Site, and internet connection, including your login information, IP address, internet provider, operating system and platform, and browser type.
We use this information to analyze trends and understand more about how you and others interact with our Site and for fraud prevention purposes.
Sometimes, we may receive more personal information than is needed. We strongly encourage you not to provide us with information beyond that which is requested by us to provide you with our services.
How we collect information
We use different methods to collect information from and about you, including
- Information provided by you: Information is collected when you enter information in connection with an inquiry into our services. This information is provided via an online form on our Site’s various pages (https://FCMortgages.ca/).
- Direct Interactions: Information is also collected when you communicate with us by phone, email or otherwise.
How we use your information
In general, we may use personal information to:
- Deliver the products or services you requested, which includes understanding your financial needs and providing you with financial services; Improve customer service;
- Improve our Site;
- Personalize your user experience and to verify your identity when you contact us with questions and requests;
- Communicate with you after you have submitted an application. Representatives from our mortgage brokerage affiliate, FCC (described below), will contact you 2 business days of receiving your application to better understand your financial needs and to determine your eligibility for financial products;
- Communicate with you about products or services that may be of interest to you or to provide you with information such as when you make a request;
- Manage our business and enable us to provide you with a positive and secure experience;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements or to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts with you;
- Fulfill the purposes for which you provided the information or that were described when it was collected; and
- Fulfill any other purpose with your consent.
Who do we share your information with?
We may share your information:
- With our affiliate, Firm Capital Corporation ("FCC"): In submitting an inquiry for a loan product or other service provided through this Site, you agree that we may share your information with our affiliate, FCC, which provides services to our customers. FCC is a mortgage brokerage. After you have submitted your application to us, FCC will reach out to you to request further information from you to determine your eligibility for financial products. FCC will obtain your consent when offering their services. FCC is licenced under Ontario Mortgage Brokerages, Lenders and Administrators Act License #10164, Administrators License #11442.
- In accordance with applicable law, to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about users is among the assets transferred.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, in accordance with applicable law.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, property, or safety, or the rights, property or safety of our customers, or others.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information, or for any other purpose with your consent
Transferring your personal information
Your privacy rights
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes.
You have the right to tell us if you:
- don’t want to be contacted in the future by us
- would like to access your personal information or request a copy of the personal information which we hold about you
- would like us to correct or update your personal information in our records.
- wish to report any misuse of your personal information
You may make any of these requests by contacting us using the Contact Us link on the Site or in the manner described below. When requesting access to your information, we may request information from you to help us confirm your identity. This is a security measure to ensure that information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. If you are not able to provide proof of your identity, we reserve the right to refuse to send you any personal information.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests in a reasonable time frame, however, it may take us longer if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests.
Do we use “cookies”?
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the site’s or service provider’s systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information. When we use the term “cookies”, we include other technologies that accomplish similar tasks or help cookies function. For example, “web beacons” are electronic tags on webpages used to help deliver cookies and assist with understanding website statistics.
Web browsers are typically set up to accept cookies but if you wish to amend your cookie preferences, you can do this through your browser settings. If you choose to turn off certain cookies, it may affect the functionality of our Site.
The Site uses Google Analytics to track performance. Google Analytics uses persistent cookies to track visitor sessions, visitors across multiple sessions, and referral sources to our Site. We also track the performance of promotional links to our Site using Google Analytics. In compliance with the Google Analytics Terms of Service, at no time is personally identifiable information passed to Google Analytics. Note that Google Analytics stores its data within Canada and is subject to Canada's laws. We use this data to understand site performance to serve you better. Those wishing to opt out of Google Analytics data collection should use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Retaining your personal information
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
Personal information of children
Our Site and marketing activities are not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from children. If we become aware that we have collected the personal information of children, we will promptly take steps to delete such personal information. If you discover your child has provided us personal information without your consent, please contact us.
If you do not consent to the use of your personal information in these ways, you may stop using the Site and our services or you may withdraw your consent, subject to legal, regulatory or contractual requirements, by contacting us in the manner described below. Please note, by withdrawing your consent, we may not be able to provide you with our services.
Visiting our website from outside Canada
The Site is governed by the laws of Canada, and is intended for the enjoyment of residents of Canada only. We make no representation that the Site is governed by or operated in accordance with the laws of any other nation.
Call: +(1) 833-FC-LENDS (325-3637)
If after contacting us you do not feel that we have adequately addressed your concerns, you may contact:
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada